The inaugural Get Physical meeting was a half-day interactive event exploring how physical activity can be incorporated into the daily lives of NHS patients and staff. It was held at Oxford Belfry, Milton Common, in December 2015.
Almost 150 health and sports professionals from a wide range of specialties came together to explore the challenges and benefits of introducing exercise into the workplace.
Common themes that emerged included:
- train everyone from receptionists to clinicians to explore physical exercise as part of the patient’s care pathway
- physical activity programmes must be patient or staff-led
- physical activity should be a priority in clinical care not an afterthought
- programmes must be meaningful and fun for sustained impact
- social interaction is as important as the physical activity
A Get Physical steering committee has considered feedback from the day and has agreed some actions.